Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Journal #5: Twitter

When I first started to use Twitter, I believed that it would only benefit my personal life. For instance, following my favorite celebrities or famous news channels to keep up with what is happening in the real world. However, after I joined Twitter, I found out that I use it more for my professional development by following other teachers that teach the same grade I do, or other educational multimedia enthusiasts. As a result, I have been able to gain more ideas with different strategies and activities I can incorporate into my classroom, such as a pumpkin investigation I will complete with students on Halloween or using certain apps during their reading centers. Although Twitter adds a great deal to my professional development, I do not feel as though it would a great amount to my classroom, due to the grade I teach. My first grade students are still learning to read and write, which means they should not be limited to the 140 character limit Twitter puts on their comment section. However, I do see a benefit in using Twitter to communicate with my parents, which was stated in the article “35 Interesting Ways to the Use Twitter in the Classroom.” I believe my parents would be able to use Twitter in order to see what is happening in their child’s classroom in real time, rather than through simple newsletters.

Question 1: Is Twitter beneficial for intermediate grades?

Answer 1: I believe Twitter is beneficial for intermediate grades, due to the fact that these students can use Twitter in order to collaborate over their assignments and discuss different things that occurring in their classroom.

Question 2: Should a teacher still monitor their students on Twitter?


Answer 1: A teacher should ALWAYS monitor their students on any social media account, due to the access that the students have to discuss topics that would not be appropriate for their age.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you if students are using social media to complete homework that a teacher set up it is that teachers job to continually monitor it. I would not want students to get off topic or share things not related to the class.

    ReplyDelete