Monday, October 3, 2016

Journal 1 Blog Post: Chapters 1-3

Robbins, J. N. (2012). Learning web design: A beginner's guide to HTML, CSS, Javascript, and web graphics (4th ed.). Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly.

What resonated with me?: Upon reading these first three chapter of Robbin’s book, I felt a little overwhelmed with the amount of material that we would be covering in GED 512. However, upon further reading, I realized that I already know much of this information from previous classes on website development and my every day interaction with different websites on the internet. For instance, in chapter three, the development of a website with the different aspects that must be monitored is related to the ADDIE model that I learned in a previous course. Also, the information presented in chapter one about the things I would need to get started in the web design process allows me to see that I am ready to become a beginner web designer!

Question 1: Does a web designer complete each step of the design process solo?

Answer 1: Absolutely not! If a web designer completed all aspects of the web design process on his or her own, it would take a very long time for websites to be completed. As a result, web designers hire a great amount of people that focus on one or a few aspects of the web design process to make it more functional. These people could be experts in the field of study that the web developer is making a website for, such as an expert in dinosaurs to help complete a website for a museum that is getting a new dinosaur attraction. Also, a web designer can be paired up with a person that works for the company requesting a website, which allow the web designer to ensure that the company is getting what they are requesting by having one of their employees overlook the web design process.

Question 2: When creating a website, should a web designer create a website that is only accessible by one audience?


Answer 2: No, a web designer should create a website that is accessible by all people, not just one audience. A website should have accommodations for people that have vision, mobility, auditory, and cognitive impairments. This allows all people, regardless or abilities or disabilities to access, navigate and understand all websites. 

4 comments:

  1. I was also happy to learn that we do not have to be pros at every aspect of web design. One can out source some of the design processes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Michaela! I was on the same page as you! It was very overwhelming just looking over the syllabus and hearing about all the different components that we would be learning. Robins makes it sound so much easier and manageable. So here's to our adventures in web design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thankfully we don’t have to handle all aspects of the design process. While I do believe I could make a decent web site on my own, I originally come from a science background. Therefore, many aspects of composition and design are very foreign to me. It is always nice knowing you don’t need to do everything by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my former career I was a web designer that did it all...graphics, seo, design, coding, etc. The project took too long and I was unable to compete on a global market. In my last few years of the biz I ended up partnering with a company in the Philippines and outsourcing much of the coding of the sites. The timeline improved and the clients were much happier with the end product.

    ReplyDelete